PSP offers free fitness classes Monday to Thursday. I tested each one out so you know what to expect.
Of all the Noon Fitness classes offered, yoga was the one I had no reservations about beforehand. I’ve done the occasional yoga class and enough yoga videos at home to know what to expect and have a basic familiarity with the common poses. (I’d still consider myself a beginner, though.)
The instructor, Fitness and Sport instructor Allison Brush, is more than qualified with her 300 hours certification. Yoga can be an expensive activity, so Allison is happy to offer it for free through Noon Fitness to the CAF community, who can get introduced to and take advantage of the many benefits yoga has to offer.
5 benefits of yoga
- Taking time for you
- Body awareness
- Protection from injury
- Increased flexibility, muscle strength and tone
- Weight reduction and balanced metabolism
What to bring
- Water (good to have, but you can probably get through class without it.)
- Yoga mat (these are provided if you don’t have your own, and cleaned after every use)
- Don’t stress about knowing the terminology. Allison used plain, simple language to describe the poses and guide us through them.
- I loved the contemporary music played softly during class, unlike the traditional music often played during yoga classes. Allison mixes up the playlist, but it adds fun variety.
- Workout is great for all experience and fitness levels. Every pose has a modification to make it easier or harder, depending on how hard you want to push yourself or how deep you want to stretch.
- It was gentle, more about breathing, stretching, and flow than working up a sweat.
- The cool down period at the end can be used to just breath and relax, or you can choose to follow along with the breath work led by Allison, a certified breathing coach. Nothing is forced, so you can get exactly what you want from the session.
- Next day soreness level: None.
This was an enjoyable mental break mid-week to break up the workday and feel more physically and mentally balanced.
Stay tuned for my final recap!
Noon Fitness schedule
12:00 – 12:45 p.m.
- Monday – pilates/core
- Tuesday – indoor cycling
- Wednesday – yoga
- Thursday – circuit training