Home CFB Borden Dear Conflict and Complaint Management Service (CCMS)

Dear Conflict and Complaint Management Service (CCMS)


Dear Conflict and Complaint Management Service (CCMS),

I filed a harassment complaint and now my CO has encouraged me to go to ADR. I am concerned the CoC is not taking my complaint seriously. What will happen to my complaint if I agree? – Mr Frustrated 

Dear Frustrated,

The short answer is that your complaint will be placed on hold pending the outcome of the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) process. This means the administration of the complaint will temporarily stop to allow you the opportunity to try ADR. It is important to note that choosing to try ADR does not change to the CO’s ultimate responsibility to administer the complaint in accordance with the Harassment Prevention and Resolution Instructions.

If ADR does not resolve your concerns, the CO must continue with the complaint where it left off. Your CO has likely recommended you try ADR as this is often the best way for you to have your complaint addressed on your own terms. ADR is grounded in the belief that the people experiencing the concern are the best people to determine what resolution looks like; this is called the principle of self-determination. The complaint will only be resolved if you agree on the terms. Also, ADR can be used whether the allegations are founded or unfounded. 

The best way to determine if ADR makes sense for your situation is to have a confidential consultation with your local CCMS (Conflict & Complaint Management Service) centre representative.

Sincerely, CCMS Agent

*Defence Team members can contact a CCMS agent toll free at 1-833-328-3351, M-F between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. EST. Additional details related to CCMS locations and services are available on the ICCM web page