This recipe for the BBQ can be used in a variety of ways. As a salad, with a side starch or on its own; the choice is yours.
- 1 flank steak (about 600 g/20 oz)
- 60 mL (¼ cup) balsamic vinegar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) each sodium reduced soy and Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 10 mL (2 tsp) chopped fresh rosemary
- 10 mL (2 tsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 5 mL (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 1 pkg (170 g/6 oz) sliced portabella mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 red pepper, quartered
- 750 mL (3 cups) baby spinach
- Using a fork, pierce flank steak all over and place in a resealable plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy and Worcestershire sauces, garlic, rosemary, oil and mustard. Reserve 30 mL (2 tbsp) and pour remaining mixture into the bag. Refrigerate steak for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Place mushrooms, onion, zucchini and red pepper in a large bowl and spray lightly with cooking spray. Place vegetables on preheated greased grill over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally until tender crisp and golden. Return to bowl and drizzle with reserved balsamic mixture and toss to combine. Add spinach to wilt slightly; set aside.
- Place steak on grill turning occasionally for about 12 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove to clean cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain. Place steak over top of salad to serve.
- Toss leftovers with cooked whole grain pasta or quinoa for a whole new meal.
- Change up this recipe by using different seasonal veggies.
- Try using less of the ingredients that are high in added sodium, sugars or saturated fat. Adding salt or sugars directly to your recipe? Remember, a little often goes a long way.
For more recipes that follow Canada’s Food Guide, check out Health Canada’s recommendations: Canada’s Food Guide Recipes.