Here is another healthy recipe that helps us obtain some plant-based protein, which is a recommendation made directly from Canada’s Food Guide.
- Fine bulgur – 1 cup (250 mL)
- Boiling water – 2 cups (500 mL)
- Tomatoes, fresh, diced – 2 medium
- Chickpeas, canned, drained and rinsed* – 19 oz (540 mL)
- Green onions, minced – 1 cup (250 mL)
- Parsley, fresh, finely diced – ½ cup (125 mL)
- Lemon, zest – 1 ½ teaspoon (7 mL)
- Lemon, juice – ¼ cup (60 mL)
- Olive oil – 3 tablespoons (45 mL)
- Salt – as desired
- Pepper – as desired
- Hot sauce or chili flakes – as desired
*You can replace chickpeas with canned lentils or white beans.
- Combine bulgur and boiling water in a large bowl. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the tomatoes, chickpeas, green onions, parsley, lemon juice and zest and combine in a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper and hot sauce if using. Add the bulgur to the other ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate. Enjoy chilled with whole wheat pita bread and plain yogurt.
This recipe can be found in the Recipe e-book, which is part of the initiatives for March is Nutrition Month.