Military members put their skills to the test as part of the Tech Services CO Challenge at CFB Borden on 5 May.
The challenge involved navigating a 6.5 km cross country route, with five stops along the way to test a range of physically demanding and military skills. They had 30 minutes to complete each task, and 30 minutes for each navigation leg between them. The team with the fastest overall time was declared the winner, but the friendly competition is really designed to foster an opportunity to utilize and reinforce military skills in the field.
Here’s what the challenge looked like:
- Sandbag filling: Teams filled 50 sandbags.
- Casualty evacuation: Teams encountered a simulated casualty, and were required to assess and begin treatment, then move the casualty to an alternate location for pickup.
- Vehicle cross loading: Teams moved a load of 80 jerry cans from one truck to another roughly 100 meters away.
- Mod tent: Teams assembled a 3-section modular tent.
- Weapons handling: Teams demonstrated safety precautions, field strip and assemble, and function test on three different weapons.
This year, a team made up of Communications and Information Systems (CIS) and Transport members earned themselves the top spot, which comes with bragging rights and being listed on the trophy which is displayed in their building.