This is another different recipe that can add some variety to your typical routine.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1 bottle (700 mL) passata (strained tomatoes)
- 1 pkg (5 oz/142 g) baby spinach, chopped
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) fresh ground pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh grated Parmesan
- 3 cups (750 mL) egg white broad pasta noodles
In a large ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook shallot, garlic, oregano and hot pepper flakes. Pour in passata and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in spinach and pepper; cook for 5 minutes or until wilted.
Crack eggs, one at a time into a small bowl and slip eggs into simmering sauce. Sprinkle with ground pepper. Place in preheated 400 F (200 C) oven for about 10 minutes or until eggs set or cooked to desired doneness.
Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling water, cook noodles for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain well and keep warm.
Sprinkle eggs with cheese and spoon with sauce over top of noodles to serve.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 4)
- Calories 370
- Protein 20 g
- Sodium 540 mg
- Potassium 350 mg
- Total fat 10 g
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 220 mg
- Carbohydrates 51 g
- Fibre 6 g
- Sugars 9 g
- Added sugars 0 g
For more recipes, check out the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Website: Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada