This recipe is easy to prep and then placed in the slow cooker. Put it on a fresh bun or have it with rice and vegetables.
- 2 lb (1 kg) boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1 cup (250 mL) salsa
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- In a large bowl, toss together chicken thighs, oil, chili powder, oregano and cumin to coat well.
- Stir together salsa, garlic and jalapeño in slow cooker.
- Brown chicken thighs in nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add to slow cooker. Nestle chicken into salsa mixture; cover and cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours or until very tender.
- Using 2 forks, shred chicken and stir into sauce.
Nutritional info per serving (1 of 8)
Protein 22 g
Sodium 290 mg
Potassium 320 mg
Total fat 8 g
Saturated fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 65 mg
Carbohydrates 3 g
Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Added sugars 0 g
For more recipes, check out the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Website