Let’s look at how we can start off our day on the right foot with some good breakfast ideas. These bars can be made anytime and used for breakfast throughout the week or even as a snack.
- In a dry nonstick skillet, toast oat bran over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until fragrant; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together almond butter, maple syrup and apple sauce. Stir in oats, cherries, almonds, toasted oat bran, flaxseed and sunflower seeds until well combined.
- Pack mixture into 8 inch (1.5 L) square parchment paper lined baking pan and freeze for about 2 hours or until very firm and solid. Remove from freezer and remove from pan using parchment paper as a handle. Cut into 18 bars and place in airtight container and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) oat bran or wheat germ
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) almond butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) large flake oats
- 1/3 cup (175 mL) dried cherries
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
Nutritional info per serving (1 bar)
Protein 4 g
Sodium 17 mg
Potassium 145 mg
Total fat 7 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Carbohydrates 13 g
Fibre 3 g
Sugars 5 g
Added sugars 2 g
For more recipes, check out the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Website.