This recipe is a great tasting and light soup that can accompany any meal.
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) dried thyme leaves or 15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped fresh thyme
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) mild curry paste or powder
- 4 parsnips, peeled and diced (about 400 g/12 oz)
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) pearl barley
- 1 L (4 cups) sodium-reduced vegetable or chicken broth
- 500 mL (2 cups) water
- 500 mL (2 cups) lightly packed shredded baby spinach
- In soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook onions, garlic, thyme and curry paste for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add parsnips and barley and stir to coat. Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 35 minutes or until parsnips and barley are tender.
- Stir in spinach and cook for 1 minute or until wilted.
Nutritional information per serving (1 of 8)
- Calories 118
- Protein 3 g
- Sodium 268 mg
- Potassium 282 mg
- Total fat 2 g
- Saturated fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 22 g
- Fibre 3.5 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Added sugars 0 g
This recipe can be found, along with many others at the Heart and Stroke Foundation website.