Tired of your typical salad? Try this alternative to add some flare to your meal! This tasty recipe can be served hot or cold.
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) olive oil, divided
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) lower sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 mL (½ tsp) paprika
- 5 mL (1 tsp) dried thyme
- 5 mL (1 tsp) garlic powder
- 3 peaches, sliced in wedges
- ½ package (100 g/3.5 oz) halloumi cheese, sliced
- 500 mL (2 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) dried basil
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- In a non-stick pan, add 15 mL (1 tbsp) of olive oil and toast chickpeas over medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Pour into a large bowl and toss with paprika, thyme, and garlic powder.
- Pre-heat a grill pan or BBQ to medium-high heat. Grill peaches and halloumi cheese for 3 minutes to warm through, until there are grill marks.
- Dice the halloumi cheese into smaller pieces and add to the bowl with spiced chickpeas along with grilled peaches.
- Stir in tomatoes, dried basil, and lemon juice. Coat with remaining 15 mL (1 tbsp) of olive oil.
- Leftover roasted chickpeas? These make an awesome snack on their own, or as a topping in a protein and vegetable rice bowl.
- If peaches are not in season, swap for apples or pears! Ask your little chefs to help make choices.
Recipe developed by the Food Innovation and Research Studio at George Brown College for the Guelph Family Health Study’s cookbook and Health Canada.
For more recipes that follow Canada’s Food Guide, check out Health Canada’s recommendations: Canada’s Food Guide Recipes.