This colourful, comforting casserole is topped off with melted cheese. Its crispy edges make it simply irresistible.
- 10 mL (2 tsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 10 mL (2 tsp) Italian herb seasoning
- 250 mL (1 cup) quinoa, rinsed
- 500 mL (2 cups) broccoli florets
- 440 mL (1 ¾ cups) sodium-reduced vegetable broth
- 250 mL (1 cup) frozen corn kernels
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
- 190 mL (¾ cup) shredded lower fat old Cheddar cheese
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook leek, garlic, red pepper and Italian herb seasoning for 5 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Stir in quinoa, broccoli and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Stir in corn and parsley, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into small casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in preheated 200 °C (400 °F) oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. for Health Canada and the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
For more recipes that follow Canada’s Food Guide, check out Health Canada’s recommendations: Canada’s Food Guide Recipes.