- 1 carrot
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 250 mL (1 cup) water
- 125 mL (½ cup) white vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 mL (½ tsp) black pepper
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) salt
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) sugar
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) uncooked brown rice
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) sesame oil
- 10 mL (2 tsp) grated ginger
- 1 package (400 g/14 oz) firm tofu, crumbled
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) hoisin sauce
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) lime juice (about ½ lime)
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) lower sodium soy sauce
- 2 mL (½ tsp) dried basil
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) water
- 5 mL (1 tsp) sriracha
- 85 mL (⅓ cup) lower fat Greek yogurt
- 5 mL (1 tsp) lime juice
- ½ large cucumber, sliced
- ½ bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- ½ bunch cilantro (optional)
- Prepare the quick pickle: Use a vegetable peeler to slice carrots into ribbons. Place into a small bowl or glass jar. Place radishes in a separate bowl or glass jar.
- In a small pot, bring water, vinegar, garlic, pepper, salt and sugar to a boil. Pour over carrots and radishes and let marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Cook rice per package instructions.
- Prepare the tofu crumble: In a large pan, heat sesame oil and ginger over medium heat and cook for 1 minute. Add crumbled tofu and warm through while stirring.
- Pour in hoisin sauce, 15 mL (1 tbsp) lime juice, soy sauce, and basil. Stir well and add water. Cook until half of the water evaporates. Remove from heat.
- Prepare the sriracha dressing: Mix sriracha, yogurt, and 5 mL (1 tsp) lime juice together.
- Serve tofu on rice. Top with cucumber, bell peppers, cilantro, pickled carrots, pickled radishes, and dressing.
- Use this pickling technique for other vegetables including red onions, bell peppers, and green beans.
- Refrigerate the “quick pickle” in a sealed container for up to 4 weeks.
- Little chefs can enjoy crumbling tofu. Older kids can peel carrots into ribbons.
- Kids can’t handle the spice yet? Use Italian seasoning instead of sriracha.